Sunday, January 8, 2012

Enjoy the journey....

photo by Kira Stevens
The holidays seemed to rush by and here we are about to go into the second week of the new year. I still feel like I am in catch-up mode from December. If you have listened to KFEX during weekdays you may have caught Corrie and I on the radio sharing organization tips and encouragement. It all seems easy enough to do when you talk about it but it never fails that even our best laid plans start getting undone by something we didn't anticipate. I have asked about peoples' New Year resolutions, where they are in keeping them, some have already been derailed by this thing we call life. :)  Our focus gets on an end result and we try to rush through the steps to get to the end, like we have a built in fast-forward button. Well, I was reading a devotional and it dealt with this mindset. It spoke of how one of the ways God can assert His sovereignty is through His timing of events. That if one wants to move closer to Him and do things His way, we need to ask Him to show us the path forward moment by moment instead of rushing headlong towards the end. Slowing down, we are able to fully enjoy His presence in the journey. This spoke greatly to me. There are so many things in life that would be less fulfilling if we rushed it. Pregnancy: feeling that child move and grow. Children: watching them learn and become individuals. Marriage: becoming one through experiences together. I also realized that the moments along the pathway teach and prepare us for the fullness in the end.
When my children were young people would say that they grow up fast and then they are gone! When I was wiping one end or the other, eating cold meals, running without sleep...that idea seemed so foreign. I am now an empty nester and it was true, they grew and were gone so quickly. I am thankful for the moments along the way where I knew I was in that with them and I didn't miss them growing up. I enjoyed the journey. Now, in this chapter of my life, I hope that I do not get caught up in deadlines or schedules and miss moments with God that let me experience Him in my life. Because without Him, it is impossible to face the journey <3

No comments:

Post a Comment