Thursday, January 19, 2012

React or Respond?

When things don't work out the way I thought they would, or when something happens to change my plans I find myself reacting. I am totally focussed on myself and how inconvenienced I am, or on my own irritation. I have lost sight of everything that is important and instead chosen to see the situation with a very narrow vision.
1 Peter 1:13-15 speaks of the approach we must take if we are going to choose to respond instead of react:


So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world. So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.”


I'm challenging myself to try to see situations through God's eyes, not my own self-centered view and to choose to put these words from 1 Peter into practice.

Find a great post here about responding and not reacting with the Help of the Holy Spirit.
talked on air Thur about the differences in focus between reacting (self focus) and responding (others focus)

No comments:

Post a Comment