Thursday, January 12, 2012

Home Help: Attitude

Our homes can be a refuge for us in a world of chaos, or we can allow things at home to be chaotic too. It is a lifelong goal of mine to constantly be working on making my home a refuge for my family. I love the perspective on Like Mothers, Like Daughters about meals and laundry. Leila writes,  “if you have a handle on these two areas -- if you have serenity when contemplating dinner or the washing machine -- you will be rational in your approach to all other areas of your life: losing weight, saving money, cleaning up, using your time well, loving your family more, having reading time with your kids, teaching them Latin, you name it! It will all go better if you have order in these two fundamental duties.” She goes on to say that our inevitable stumbles in other areas won’t be as devastating if we have a little peace in these areas, which I find to be very true. 
In so many areas of life attitude is everything, Leila writes “Look at it this way: if you had the profession of managing, say, a hotel, you would be darn sure that first and foremost you had a plan, a system, and a clear idea of how you would provide food, clean sheets, and a warm atmosphere for your customers. You would not whine. You would pat yourself on the back for having such a great career! If you did not do this, you would be -- fired!” There have been many times that I should’ve been “fired” due to my laziness in the area of working to make my home a place my family enjoyed spending time! God is continually working in my heart to make my priorities line up better with His priorities. Keeping Him in first place is obviously more important that a spotlessly clean house, but I can glorify Him if I have a good attitude about serving wherever He places me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment