Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chari Kauffman's Mission Perspective

Our mission trip changed everything for me. My eyes were opened to our "prosperous" American mentality. It made me realize that the poor are filled with joy, yet we American's, who are wealthy beyond their imaginations (even when we don't think we are) are poor because we have no joy. They rely totally and completely in God, and we struggle with not relying at all on God....trying to do everything ourselves. 
When I got back from Kenya, I started reading everything I could get my hands on regarding what the Bible says about caring for the poor. I would recommend several great books for those who would like to explore this a little deeper: 
A Hole in the Gospel - by Richard Stearns, 
Radical - by David Platt, 
Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger - by Ronald Sider, 
Make Poverty Personal - by Ash Barker, 
There's Always Enough - by Heidi Baker, 
Compelled by Love - by Heidi Baker, 
The Poor Will be Glad - Peter Greer, 
It's Not OK with Me - Janine Maxwell. 
Several things stand out from the mission trip. Matthew 25: 31-46 really came alive. Water is not readily available. They have no running waters in their homes, at the school, etc. They have to carry purchased water that is very heavy long distances just to have water to bathe in, flush a toilet (if they have one), cook with, etc. I personally drink a lot of water every day, so this especially stood out for me. We would take small bottles of water and give them to the teachers or the school kids, and inevitably in your mind you would hear, "....I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink." Also, something very similar, there were a group of kids outside of the school gate looking in on the Wazungos (white people). I shared a bag of potato chips and a bottle of water with these 5 - 6 children. They were so hungry....it broke my heart. I wept later (not in front of the children....they don't know anything else) and felt deeply touched that God would give me the opportunity to share such a special moment with these slum kids. One of these little girls I would have taken home with me in a minute. 
The thing that I contemplate most is how to impress on my children to go against the grain of our American Materialistic Society. We're thinking of taking them back with us to Kenya this summer. I want them to see that when they look at our pantry that is stocked with food and they say "there's nothing to eat" how blessed they are. That when they have more than one change of clothes that they are blessed. That if they eat every day that they are blessed. That when they are sick and we can take them to the doctor that they are blessed. 
I saw this great quote from Mother Theresa the other day....
Hungry for love, He looks at you, 
Thirsty for kindness, He begs from you, 
Naked for loyalty, He hopes in you.
Sick and imprisoned for friendship, He wants from you. 
Homeless for shelter in your heart, He asks of you., 
Will you be that one to him?
--Mother Theresa
Shared by Chari Kauffman
Houston, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment