Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Follow your heart or follow His?

       Most of the instances I think of involving my heart misleading me are when I was chasing some relationship with a guy! I have to admit that being in a relationship was such a major focus for me when I was in high school. I wish I could take back some lost time that I spent wishing some guy would notice me, or pay more attention to me. I would've been better off to pour that time into my relationship with Christ!
So I know the truth in the statement, "My feelings lie to me." Have you ever followed your heart just to find out that it was leading you wrong? The path I think my heart is leading me on may end in a trap. But the great news is that the Lord rescues me from traps! Even when I become trapped simply because of my own hard-headed stubbornness and silly pride.

"The Lord is good and does what is right; He shows the proper path to those who go astray. he leads the humble in doing right, teaching them His way. The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands." Then,"who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should choose." Psalm 25:8-10, 12
     There are so many times that my prayers include a plea that God will show me the direction I should be going. He is faithful to show me His way, but I'm not always faithful to follow!
       So what are we to do? The world tells us to follow our feelings, follow our hearts and yet that leads nowhere. The way of the Lord can be found. If you seek God- He will be found:
       "I will be found by you," says the Lord. Jeremiah 28:14  
        I will meditate on Your precepts and have respect to Your ways, the paths of life marked    
         out by Your law. Psalm 119:15
     
       He is waiting for you to seek Him. God's heart is to be found by you and anyone who will seek Him. If we seek Him He will be found- you can't get much more straightforward than that! I need that kind of clarity sometimes when my heart is so confused by the emotions that try to lead me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment