Thursday, February 10, 2011

I need God's Word

For me the reasons for turning to God's Word are not academic and practical, they are not easily translated into a bullet-point list for quick perusal. For me the need to seek His comfort and wisdom is much deeper than any quick tip or point of advice. I have not always made the right choices, or done my best at living out a life of Christian discipline, but I have needed God. I have heard the message of doubt, taught by professors who claimed to be Christians. I needed God's Word then. I have seen my own shortcomings, as a young woman in high school who didn't really know what it meant to live a life of purity in action and attitude. I needed God's Word then. I have felt the crushing weight of depression as I counted my mistakes again and again. I needed God's Word then. I have held a sick baby in my arms and begged God for relief from fever, coughs, pain. I needed God's Word then. I have paced and rocked and sang myself silly with a colicky baby and sobbed for sleep. I needed God's Word then. I have witnessed friends' marriages tested, seen my own marriage tested, wondered if I really had known what I was getting myself into as a young bride. I needed God's Word then. I have bent an ear and lent an empathetic heart to a friend's heartache and desperate need for answers that I didn't have. I needed God's Word then. I have looked around me and felt the weight of all I haven't done, all I didn't do good enough, all that is left for me to do, a weight so heavy I want to run somewhere just to breathe.

I need God's Word.


The beauty strikes me and I barely breathe;
I long for You,
You promise to be found.
You are found!
Here in the middle of rising flood
All I must do is need You
I need You!
My need is ever before me

                           Corrie Lawrence
                                    October 2010


You have said, "Seek My Face, inquire for and require My presence as your vital need." My heart says to You, "Your face (Your Presence) I will seek, inquire for, and require of necessity and on the authority of Your Word." What, what would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living! Wait and hope for and expect the Lord! Psalm 27:8,13-14 (Amplified)


In the morning You hear my voice, O Lord; in the morning I prepare a prayer, a sacrifice for You and watch and wait for You to speak to my heart. Psalm 5:3 (Amplified)

I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory, my inner self, rejoices; my body too shall rest and confidently dwell in safety. Psalm 16:8-9 (Amplified

God says, "I have swept away your sins like the morning mists. I have scattered your offenses like the clouds. Oh, return to me, for I have paid the price to set you free." Isaiah 44:22
"And I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord the God of Israel, who calls you by your name." Isaiah 45:3

You can have the treasure and the riches written about in Isaiah. You must open a Bible, and open your heart to the truth contained in its pages.

Photo by Cheri Bunch

No comments:

Post a Comment