Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Your Story Interviews from the FireEscape Coffeehouse

Our story of faith can find us in such low places, sometimes. 

One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to have dinner with him, so Jesus went to his home and sat down to eat. When a certain immoral woman from that city heard he was eating there, she brought a beautiful jar filled with expensive perfume. Then she knelt behind him at his feet, weeping. Her tears fell on his feet and she wiped them off with her hair. Then she kept kissing his feet and putting perfume on them. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know what kind of woman is touching him! She's a sinner!"
v. 50 And Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace." Luke 7:36-39, 50


This woman, known to be a sinner, poured out the expensive and humbled herself completely. Not much is know about the rest of her story of faith, but her faith brought her peace.


Some of the young people visiting the FireEscape Coffeehouse on Friday, February 11 were kind enough to let me ask them questions about what they believe and why. One recurring theme through the interviews was how highly relationship is valued by these high school and college age young people.

Josh McCloskey
I’m a Christian. I believe in God and Jesus. My mom is a Christian- she always talks about Jesus; brings it up when anything happens. She makes sure I believe. Ever since I was a kid its been this way. Busy-ness keeps us out of church. I think about faith before I make decisions. I ask God for a sign to help me make a decision and I believe prayer works.



Chelsea Reeves
I believe in God. He’s the reason for everything. I believe hard in relationship and not religion. I think there is something wrong with every religion, relationships are more important. I believe the Bible says ‘if you love God but not your brother, you are a liar’ I care about people even my enemies. Christians gossip in church, hate is shown against people sometimes. 
When I was younger we didn’t go to church then my grandparents took me alot. Later, in Arkansas I went to lots of church functions. After that it dawned on me that something is wrong with every religion. I feel that Christianity’s biggest problem is gossip.
One thing I hold dear is the saying, ‘why strive to be perfect when you can fall in love with your flaws’ 
Now we’ve started going back to church. I live by Proverbs 17:22 I think it says: 'A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones' and I live by the quote, ‘live for the moment and live for God’. I have an app on my phone that gives me a daily scripture, that’s how I’m memorizing Bible verses.

Tomorrow I'll post more interviews from the FireEscape. What's your story of faith? Why do you believe what you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment