Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sarah Lamb's Mission Perspective

Going on missions trips has been very humbling and life-changing for me. It has opened my eyes to the needs of those around the world. I’ve been privileged to meet brothers and sisters in Christ from numerous different countries. I’ve been amazed by their testimonies, shared in their suffering and joy, prayed with and learned so much from them. Being completely out of my “comfort zone” has also made me more dependent on Jesus. I have clung to His Word like never before. It’s hard to explain how real and vital His words become, how precious His presence is…having peace in knowing that no matter where I am, He is with me…what a staggering reality.  
I remember the first time I went to Mexico, we visited/went to minister to people who lived, literally on the edge of a trash dump. To this day, it is vivid in my mind...people in their "homes" beside heaps of garbage. The reality of poverty struck, and has stayed with me since then. It's hard to fully describe how that changed my perspective. There are such intense needs in this world, and Jesus calls us to help. Sometimes the needs aren't always physical, but people with needs are all around us. Jesus sees each of those needs and cares deeply about them. I want to care deeply too. I want to be moved with compassion like He is. This was one of the times in my life that I gained a greater desire and urgency to give to the poor and to help those in need. That my life wouldn’t be about my own will and selfish desires, but about doing His will and spreading His Kingdom.  
I also remember noticing how joyful the people in Mexico were during the church services/meetings I was a part of with them. Even the blazing heat didn’t stop them from passionately praising! It was such an authentic lesson: worshipping God isn’t about our comfort. There are people all across the world who come together to worship Him without shelter, or even at the risk of their lives.
As far as my time in Italy, one day I’ll always remember is the day of our children’s Christmas program. Because of the snow here in Padova, a number of our children and their families weren't able to make it to church Sunday morning, which meant less voices to sing and one main speaking part missing. We were sad that some of our kids who had been practicing with us weren't able to perform with us. In addition to that, Sunday was the first day we actually went through the program in the "sanctuary" so there were details that we didn't have completely worked out. Needless to say, numerous things didn’t go “according to plan.” But as the Lord always works so wonderfully, the day turned out to be a beautiful reminder of what is truly important. Not speaking lines or song words being completely memorized…not every detail of the program you practiced week after week being carried out perfectly…those don’t faintly compare to the glory of one who was lost being found. A beautiful Filipino girl who had participated in our program asked Jesus to be her Lord & Savior after Pastor Steve's sermon. During part of his teaching, he talked about gifts...that the best gift that has ever been given or that can ever be received is the gift of salvation. The Father gave His only Son so that we might be saved. The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus. How glorious for her to accept His gift. What better way to celebrate CHRISTmas? After all, it's all about Him.  
Sarah Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment